Wednesday, December 28, 2011
That Magic Feeling...Where'd It Go?
I realize people dont read my blog to read about myself-they want to read about the beatles. But thats exactly what this post is about. My whole journey with the beatles. I used to get such a rush, such a good feeling from listening, reading and hearing about the beatles. Now its like nothing. Its like a love gone sour. I'm going to start this when I first heard about the beatles. It was 2 years ago. Now I had some introduction to older music because just months before I had been obsessed with the band ABBA. It was September of '09. I went to future shop with my mom and there was beatles rockband there. I played it and instantly fell in love with their music. That night I went home and listened to Hello Goodbye on youtube. A month later was my birthday and my parents got me beatles rockband. My obsession began to take a huge hit. By December that year I owned 5 of their albums and 2 of their movies: Help and A Hard Days Night. And of course every stuffed animal I had was named Paul, John, George or Ringo. By March that year everyone knew me as the beatle freak. My obsession was really strong-so strong they were the only band I listened to at all. I knew everything about them and I owned a ton of their stuff. It was especially strong during the summer of that year. I joined a beatle lovers site and the rest is history. The beatles were my one and only...until February the next year. I was really into the beatles's hamburg days and greaser days-1959 to 1962. That introduced me to 1950's rock n roll. Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly and other 50's artists were now part of my music library. I listened to the beatles now 70% of the time and the other rock n roll 30% of the time. In June/July (I'm talking about last year now) is when I was introduced to more 60's/70's rock. I was listening to The Guess Who, The Animals, Kiss, Pink Floyd and George Harrison's later music along with Paul's band Wings. These people were listened to 60% of the time. The beatles were 40%. This is when I started to realize that I wasnt to crazy about the beatles anymore. And I was having less and less to say about them. Those people continued but when September came (I'm talking about this year now), I was introduced to 70's/80's rock. And I was totally into it. From September to November I was right into Grand Funk Railway, The Police, ReoSpeedwagon, Fleetwood Mac, and such artists. End of November and beginning of December brought more 70's/80's artists like Boston, Kansas, Alabama, Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, E.L.O, Foreigner, Air Supply, David Bowie and ZZ Top. Now those people are all I listen to. And its rare if I even listen to a couple beatles songs. I dont know what happened to me. I used to be so in love with this band. And now its nothing. I mean, I still love their music but I've required a new taste in music now. I just need some feed back. Am I loosing that magic feeling?