blog pic

blog pic

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Guitar Patterns in Rock n Roll

Being a guitarist and a beatles fan, I play alot of beatle songs. And what I've realized is, in their earlier days (when they were doing alot of rock n roll covers) there seems to be a familiar pattern. Such as in Thats Alright Mama the pattern is just A, D, and E. And again in Crying Waiting Hoping, they use the same pattern. Along with Long Tall Sally, Sure To Fall, Memphis Tennessee, Johnny B. Goode and well thats all I can think of off the top of my head. There's also another very familiar pattern that they used which was G, C and D. They used this mostly when covering Buddy Holly songs and Little Richard songs. I know if you dont play guitar, you're probably like "shut up, this is boring" but maybe your not. Whether you care or not is your business but i'd just like to share this interesting discovery. If you play that pattern on piano, it would be C, F and G. And on piano, it'd be called Twelve Bar Blues.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad to hear you are learning to play these songs on the guitar. I really think that is the only way to get a full appreciation for the genius that is the Beatles. I'm not sure where you are in your guitar journey, but I made a little youtube for you, if you are interested. It demonstrates a common technique used by the Beatles, especially on the early records (e.g. Roll Over Beethoven) called guitar boogie. Hope you like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5NXyCMaC70

    ReplyDelete